Pages

Friday, June 27, 2014

Balancing Act

Before I became a mom, you could not have told me that I would now be a full time stay at home mom in less than two years.

When I was pregnant with my first I worked full time 12 hour shifts as a registered nurse on a busy cardiac unit, and my schedule had been perfect for my newly married lifestyle. But, boy did things change after my little boy came into the world, just as every new mom has a hard time heading back to work so did I. But it was gut wrenching when I went to work for 12 hours and would come home and my little sweet baby didn't want to nurse. And then the fact that when i worked multiple days in a row I never saw him, I left before he was up and came home after he was asleep. I remember those days and how I would sneak into his room just to rock him and smell his sweet baby smell.

When we decided to try for number two I knew I needed to find a better balance between my family life and my career. I accepted a new position working three days a week 8 hour shifts, I was sure that would be a great balance. And then the bottom fell out when we  went in for the 20 week ultrasound and to our complete and utter shock we were expecting not one baby but two. Once the shock wore off we decided that the best choice for our family was for me to stay home and pick up shifts a couple times a month.

Making this decision was easier said than done, being a stay at home mom with three little kids is not what I expected. Life changed drastically when staying at home and carrying for my children became harder than just going to work for 8 hours. When my Ob mentioned something to this effect when I was pregnant with my first, I laughed and though when would being at home ever be harder than going to a job every day. I guess I got my answer!

Balance is defined as an even distribution of weight enabling someone or something to remain upright and steady.

As a mom many times I feel that my sole focus is to find balance and keep every thing from sinking. But, the truth is I am unable to do it on my own, because I know that there will be days and that I feel out of balance and weary in this life. But, knowing and believing that He will carry me is where my hope must rest.

He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:29-31

Whether you are a stay at home or working it is so important to find balance and peace in where God has placed us. Believing that whether we are cleaning up lunch or titrate drips, for a critically sick patient know that you have the opportunity to reach and encourage someone today.  


How do you keep things balanced in your everyday life, or are things sinking? Come back as I share how I make it work and keep everything a float as a stay at home mom of three!


Throwback picture from February 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment