Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Growing a healthy family

I am passionate about raising healthy strong kids, and ever since Liam was about 18 months he went through the typical toddler phase of picky eating habits. Being a new mom I found that getting my child to eat was not easy at times and with all the mac and cheese, french fries, and chicken nuggets out there it can become easy to get into the pattern of feeding him things that had little to no nutritional value.

It came to a point that we didn't make meals a big deal and he would eat when he was hungry. But, something changed in me that said if he only chooses to eat one thing all day I want that one thing to be nutritionally beneficial to him.

Which brings us to today, I have now been home full time with the kids for the last 18 months and during that time I have gone from barely cooking because my husband likes to cook, to cooking and baking everything we eat.  I am proud of myself and how far I have come, educating myself to be able to make big changes in the way I view food, therefore changing the way I raise my children to view food.

The biggest thing we did was cut out all processed food, unless it is made with less than 5 ingredients and you have all of them in your kitchen. This forces you to read labels and I am telling you it will change the way you view food at the grocery store.

For snacks the kids eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, but they like any one else can only eat so many bananas. So, one of the snacks I make I found off of pintrest.




Breakfast cookies:

3 bananas (mashed)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup organic raisins
1 egg
1/4 cup whole milk
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
1 TBSP honey or maple syrup

Mix all together
 
 
Bake on a greased cookie sheet at 350 for 15 - 20 minutes.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment